Pastoral transitions happen for many reasons, including retirement or resignation. When a pastor leaves the congregation has an opportunity to assess its ministries as they prepare to call a new pastor. Many tools exist to help congregations in this transition period.
The following resources have been compiled for use by our synod’s congregations. Clicking the link will open the document.
- Pastoral Transitions: A Guide for Congregation Councils describes the congregation council’s responsibilities from the time a pastor resigns until a new pastor is called and installed.
- Pastoral Transitions FAQs provides a short overview of the transition process
- The Pastoral Transitions Manual for Call Committees describes the call process in the Upper Susquehanna Synod and the Call Committee’s role in that process. Call Committees are provided guidance from the time the committee is appointed through the transition when a new pastor is called by the congregation.
- Call Process at a Glance outlines the Call Process for a congregation calling a new pastor.
- Other resources can be found at www.elca.org/Resources/Call-Process.