The following resources have been compiled for use by our synod’s congregations. The resources below are formatted as PDF and/or MS Word files. Clicking the link will open the document.
Child Abuse Protection
- The synod’s Child Protection Policy (revised Nov 2014) is intended to assist congregations in developing a child protection policy. It contains the recommendations of the USS for its congregations, as well as providing an example policy which may serve as a resource as a congregation designs its own policy.
- Here is a resource from the Network of Victim Assistance (NOVA) on child protection: Protecting PA’s Children- What Adult Volunteers Working With Children Need to Know
- The Clergy-Communicant Privilege in Pennsylvania explains the Commonwealth laws regarding confidential information and mandatory reporting for clergy.
- Here is a website that contains free training for mandated reporters. Mandatory reporter training is helpful, especially for rostered leaders, but is only required by state law for workers who are in licensed childcare and nursery schools. www.ReportAbusePa.Pitt.edu
- Here are links to obtain required clearances. See the PA Human Services website for more information on these three clearances.
Other Safety Resources
- “Protecting Your Church from Crime and Violence”
- “Shooter in the Church”, a police officer’s advice on how to prevent, and react to, a gunman at church.
- “What to Do When Violence Strikes”
- “What if the Abuser is One of Us?”, a model for congregational response.
- “Sex Offenders: Not in My Pew” explores the issues related to having a sexual offender in the congregation.